Friday, January 25, 2008

Random

We have a little Pendleton-people-who-live-in or-are-just-happening-to-visit-Utah-at-the-time reunion at my parent's house every year. (For those of you who don't know Becky, this is where she grew up in Oregon.) This one will probably be our last, so it was very fun to see everyone, especially since we're moving and will likely not get to see a lot of these people for a while. So for all you Pendletonians who read my blog, here's a quick glance at who came and how many kids there are now! Crazy!
I can't believe I'm actually going to admit this, but until this week, I'd never before read Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" in its entirety. I had read parts, but as I sat down to read it all (which really doesn't take too long) I realized that the BBC's 6-hour version really is the book almost verbatim, so I felt like I was simply watching that. So if you're not a reader, know that you can almost have the same experience with the wonderful Mr. Darcy through the movie, though I still loved the book because there were some differences, and I especially loved that it showed every once in a while Mr. Darcy's falling for Elizabeth from his perspective and not just hers. It was very fun and sucked me in just like a good romance should. I had a hard time not talking like them after each time I'd put the book down. (And here's some fun trivia. Did you know that Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth actually dated for a while after P&P? Just learned that on imdb.)

We find out 3 weeks from today what we're having, so we're going to post a poll on the sidebar for people to guess the gender of our baby. I know, it's pretty cliche, but I thought it would be fun to see what people guess and how close they are. So go cast your vote!

7 comments:

MDawg said...

I absolutely love Pride and Prejudice! For some reason I didn't appreciate in when I had to read it in 10th grade. Probably because I was busy looking for metaphors, themes, and tone. I love the BBC version and could watch it over and over. I've discovered that there are many sequels to P&P that other authors have written. I just finished "Mr. Darcy presents his bride." If you liked being able to know Mr. Darcy's perspective, you may be interested in another book. I haven't read it yet, but I have it on hold and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival! It's called "Darcy's Story" by Janet Aylmer and is P&P told from his perspective. I'm excited to see what it's like. Anyway, I'm sure I could go on and on about P&P. It really has become my favorite!

Poppy said...

I'm glad to hear that I am not the only loon that starts speaking in the style of the book that I am reading at the moment. I really thought that I was somewhat of an oddity!

Sabrina O'Malley said...

I forgot you are an Oregon girl too. Although I must say that I have only really driven through P. and perhaps stopped once to get gas. But I have had friends from there over the years and they loved it. I love Pride and Prejudice too. There is nothing like a good clean romance to bring a little sunshine.

Holly said...

So that was on the 18th? I believe I see my 3 sisters and their husbands and kids, is that my Dad too? When was this?? I had no idea. Who else was there? Trying to figure it all out. Is that Aaron Sharp?? Crazy!

Spencer family said...

Thank you for sharing I have to pick the next book in my book club. With Valentine's Day this next month it will be a great love story to read! I love the movie but have not read the book. You made me excited to get started.

Lacey Lichi said...

Oh Becky. Pride and Prejudice is MY FAVORITE. I can't tell you how many times I've read it!

Cranberryfries said...

Haha. I have recently been considering reading P&P for the first time myself. I haven't ever been too interested but I think this year with my goal to read 50 books I'll finally break down and do it. Glad to hear there is another out there who waited so long and that you actually enjoyed it!